In this article, I will show you two easy ways to cut a grapefruit. Grapefruits can be a little bit intimidating at first glance — what type of fruit is it? It looks like an oversized orange, but in no way does it taste like it!
Keep reading to deep dive into this crazy healthy fruit and to learn the two best methods for how to cut a grapefruit.
What Is A Grapefruit?
Grapefruit is a subtropical citrus fruit with a large fleshy inside that tends to have a bit more of a sour, sweet, and bitter taste. The grapefruit flesh also varies in color between either a soft pinky yellow to a beautiful gem-toned yellow.
Now you may have heard before that grapefruits are only good for dieting, which is true, yet also not true. The truth of that statement is that grapefruits are super low in calories but extremely high in nutrients!
So, yes, grapefruits could be seen as a diet food since they are super low in calories. But it is also a great fruit to add to your everyday diet since they are so high in amazing nutrients your body craves!
Health Benefits Of Grapefruits
Grapefruits offer amazing vitamins and nutrients that your body craves. Some of the vitamins found in grapefruits are vitamin C, vitamin A, folate, fiber, magnesium, and potassium.
Grapefruits are very high in antioxidants, which help your cells fight off harmful bacteria and viruses.
As a “diet” fruit, grapefruit does have a little truth to that stigma. Grapefruits have fiber in them which is proven to keep you fuller for longer. They also are packed with water, which is also helpful for weight loss.
How To Cut A Grapefruit: 2 Easy Methods
Here are two ways popular methods for how to cut a grapefruit. The first way is probably the one you have seen the most.
- All you need to do is take your grapefruit and cut it right in half.
- Using a paring knife, cut down from the middle of the grapefruit to the thick skin along the pith (the pith is the name of the white spongy part of all citrus fruit) of the fruit.
- Like an orange or any citrus fruit, there are separate segments that the fruit is made of. So once you cut down both the sides of that pith using a spoon just pop out that segment of fruit! Super easy!
- Now, if you want to skip the whole paring knife part, you can get yourself one of those fancy grapefruit knives! Pretty much all it is is a super cool-looking spoon that has serrated edges — that way, you can pop out the grapefruit segments that much easier!
- You really do not need to purchase a grapefruit knife if you want to eat grapefruits. All you need is a small paring knife and a spoon!
- Now grapefruit tends to be a super bitter fruit. Sometimes they have a sweeter taste, but tend to be a bit on the sour side. So another way to enjoy is just to sprinkle a little bit of sugar on top before you eat it — it literally takes on a whole new flavor and is so delicious. (I don’t mind the sugar since the caloric value of the grapefruit is super low, to begin with).
The next way to cut a grapefruit is a little bit fancier, some may say, but it is perfect for getting the grapefruit segments perfectly clean from the pith. This way to cut is perfect for recipes since you mostly just want the perfect little segments of grapefruit.
If you want to learn how to cut grapefruit and get clean segments keep reading on!
- Using a paring knife cut all of the rinds off of the grapefruit, pith, and all.
- The next thing you will want to do is just cut out one segment at a time and they will cut pop right out if you are using a nice sharp paring knife.
- Slicing the grapefruit like this is perfect when making salads or using it in other recipes because you’re getting just the fruit and nothing else.
- If your looking for some amazing grapefruit recipes check this out! 21 Amazing Grapefruit Recipes
Now That You Have Mastered How To Cut A Grapefruit
Grapefruits are either a hit or a miss with most people. Personally, I like mine with a touch of sugar — it just breaks up a bit of the bitterness. On the other hand, some people love the taste of grapefruit just as it is! So, as I mentioned, it is a personal preference.
Dive in, cut open your first grapefruit, and give it a taste test!
Want to learn more about grapefruits? Next, visit our grapefruit trees page to discover information on planting, growing, caring, cooking, and more!
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Lauren has three main passions: her family, writing, and gardening! Lauren has spent countless hours in her garden tending to different plants, whether those be beautiful flowers, vegetables, or different perennials.
Rest assured that if it concerns plants and gardens, Lauren has got you covered. So, when needing advice or looking for the best new gardening gadget, you have come to the right place and the right author.