Grapefruit is an amazing citrus fruit that offers so many great health benefits! One amazing recipe to warm you up on a chilly morning is broiled grapefruit. Now, I know that may sound a bit strange — at least it did to me until I decided to dive in and give it a try! Keep reading to see just how easy it is to have a warm, healthy, delicious breakfast in a matter of minutes.
Grapefruits – Healthy, But May Not Be For Everyone
Grapefruits may be one of the most healthy of the citrus family. They are full of vitamins and minerals our bodies need to survive such as vitamin C, vitamin A, potassium, and fiber. Grapefruits are also full of antioxidants, which help our bodies fight off illness, bacterial, and viral infections. If you are interested in more of the amazing benefits of grapefruits check out this amazing article here that goes more in-depth!
Although grapefruits offer all these amazing health benefits, there are a few reasons grapefruits are not for everyone. The first reason is that grapefruits can have adverse reactions to certain medications. The FDA has a portion on their website that goes more into detail but you should always check with your physician or doctor if you are wanting to add grapefruits to your diet but are taking certain prescription medications.
The second reason grapefruits may not be for everyone is the fact that grapefruits are citrus, which means they are full of citric acid. Citric acid can eat away at the enamel of your teeth causing some dental concerns. Now, a lot of the foods that we enjoy and a lot of the time daily enjoy, contain citric acid. So this is not something too serious but as the saying goes it is possible to have too much of a good thing!
So it is something to keep in mind when wanting to enjoy this amazing fruit, you may want to limit your intake some, especially if you have sensitive teeth or certain dental issues but you can always ask your dentist what would be best for you!
The third, and in my opinion the biggest, reason is the flavor of grapefruit. As we mentioned before grapefruits are part of the citrus family, so they have a very strong citrus flavor. A lot of people are put off by the acidity and the tart and sourness of grapefruits. I believe that grapefruits are quite the acquired taste.
To go more on to that topic, I have had grapefruits that were not as sour and bitter and have had more of a sweetness to them and then have had some that were very sour, I guess I am still learning how to pick the perfect grapefruit! But I am partial to adding a bit of sugar when I want to enjoy a grapefruit, hence why this broiled grapefruit recipe is amazing!
Broiled Grapefruit – Step By Step
This is such a simple recipe, you may be thinking, “Broiled grapefruit, is this actually a thing?” because honestly, that was my thought as well. But one day as I perusing through Pinterest (as one does looking for the next best recipe), I saw it: broiled grapefruit. Once I saw this, I just knew that I needed to try it. The next thing I knew, I was in the kitchen putting my spin on this new recipe.
- The first step is to get yourself a grapefruit, cut it in half at its equator so you have two equal-sized halves.
- In a small dish, add brown sugar, granulated sugar, and cinnamon. Using a fork or spoon, mix your cinnamon-sugar mixture.
- Place your grapefruit halves on a baking sheet lined with tin foil, parchment paper, or a silicone baking mat. This makes for an even easier clean-up.
- Add a slice of butter to each of the grapefruit halves.
- Next, sprinkle your cinnamon sugar onto your grapefruits, some of the sugar may look like is it disappearing but it is only soaking into the grapefruit which is only going to make your broiled grapefruit even tastier!
- Turn on the broiler of your oven. My oven has the option for me to set the temperature so I set mine to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Pop in your grapefruits, but make sure that they are not too close to the flame. If the grapefruits are too close they can have the risk of burning instead of melting the cinnamon sugar.
- Let the grapefruits cook for about 7 to 10 minutes, or until you see the sugar has completely melted and the edges start to brown.
- Let the grapefruits cool for a minute then enjoy!
Want to make this a full-rounded breakfast? Add some of your favorite greek yogurt with a drizzle of honey and some of your favorite granola! There are so many fantastic recipes you can make when it comes to grapefruits the options are endless! If you want to see some more amazing recipes check this article out that gives you 21 amazing grapefruit recipes to choose from!
Broiled Grapefruit Takeaway
Broiled grapefruits are a very healthy breakfast alternative and with this recipe is a perfect way to warm up on a chilly morning. The cinnamon sugar really cuts the bitterness of the grapefruit and you can make it a healthy low calorie well rounded breakfast by adding in your favorite greek yogurt and granola!
Want to learn more about grapefruits? Next, visit our grapefruit trees page to discover information on planting, growing, caring, cooking, and more!
Still hungry for more? Then discover our other fruit recipes to stock up your kitchen with nature’s healthy and tasty goodies!
- 1 Large Grapefruit
- 1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Tablespoon Granulated Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 2 Teaspoons Butter
- Turn on your oven broiler, if you can set a temperature set it to 400 degrees farenheit.
- Cut your grapefruit in half.
- Place the two halves onto a baking sheet either on some tin foil, parchment paper, or a silicone baking sheet.
- Place a teaspoon of butter on each grapefruit half.
- In a small bowl add in your sugars and cinnamon and stir together untill combined.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar eaqually on both halves of the grapefruit.
- Place on the middle rack inside your oven for 7 to 10 minutes depending untill all of the sugar has melted and the outer edges start to turn golden.
- Remove the grapefruits from the oven and give them a minute to cool.
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Lauren has three main passions: her family, writing, and gardening! Lauren has spent countless hours in her garden tending to different plants, whether those be beautiful flowers, vegetables, or different perennials.
Rest assured that if it concerns plants and gardens, Lauren has got you covered. So, when needing advice or looking for the best new gardening gadget, you have come to the right place and the right author.