Those of you who can’t wait for spooky season to come back will agree that the fall has so much to offer. Not just Halloween and Thanksgiving, but outdoor activities to enjoy with the entire family now that days aren’t so hot anymore! Think of apple picking, apple cider donuts, and perhaps one of the most important perks that comes from an apple orchardâ€”apple cider itself! Of course, apples don’t magically turn themselves into cider; you need the best apple cider press!
Read on to learn about my picks for the best apple cider presses.
Apple Cider Press Versus Apple Grinder
Before we get to our list of best apple cider presses, let’s clarify a couple of things. If you Google “apple cider press” you’ll see presses and grinders come up indiscriminatelyâ€”so what exactly is the difference? Apple cider grinders and apple cider presses come into the apple cider process at different points.
Apple cider grinders are little devices with a hand crank that turns a rotating cylinder with teeth, attached to a juice collecting area. Apple cider grinders are usually made out of steel or cast iron, and their primary purpose is to crush apples into a pulp before the press takes over and turns the pulp into the cider you know and love.
Basic apple grinders are run manually and are perfect for hobbyists, but if you’re planning on running a business, you should consider an electric apple grinder instead!
Apple cider presses come in after the apple grinder has done its job. The most common type of apple cider press is a basket press made out of wood or steel with a crossbar and steel screw that slowly applies more and more pressure to the apple pulp in the basket. The basket is riddled with small perforations, and the juice runs out of these holes and is collected into some sort of container. And voila! You have yourself some fresh apple cider.
This sequence is very important. If you were to try using an apple cider press on whole apples, it would be frustrating more than anything, and you wouldn’t be collecting much juice!
Why You Need An Apple Cider Press
It’s true that there are other methods to creating apple cider; for example, you could probably figure it out with a small juicing machine, but traditional apple cider presses remain the best option for creating fresh, delicious apple cider. They’re usually easy, straightforward machines that come in different shapes and sizes, so it’s easy for you to choose the one that best fits your needs. When it comes to owning apple trees, there are only so many things you can bake apples intoâ€”so having the ability to turn them into apple cider is a great way to put extra apples to use!
The Best Apple Cider Presses
1. Best Overall:
SQUEEZE Master Fruit Wine Cider Press
This Squeeze Master Fruit Wine Cider Press is the best overall because of its track record of good reviews, high-quality components, and overall “humanized design.” You can tell it was designed keeping a hard worker in mind!
2. Best Hydraulic Apple Cider Press:
EJWOX Hydraulic Fruit Wine Press
I love this water-powered apple cider press! Its reviews are phenomenal, it saves energy, and works faster than your traditional apple cider presses. Its unique power source can be generated from any spigot, though obviously outdoor ones are preferable. The one downside is that because it’s hydraulic, it is pretty expensive.
3. Best Apple Cider Press Under Two Gallons:
EJWOX Fruit Wine Press
This more traditional EJWOX apple cider press is a great option if you’re not looking to produce vast quantities of apple cider. With a 1.6 or .08 gallon option, this made our list of best apple cider presses because of its affordable price, great ratings, and ability to work with many different kinds of foods, including butters, oils, tinctures, and honey.
4. Best Table Top Apple Cider Press:
SQUEEZE Tabletop Press
If you’re looking for a portable, easy-to-use-in-your-kitchen kind of apple cider press for you and your family, this SQUEEZE Tabletop Press is the right choice for you. It comes with an extension tube, and it can be fixed right onto your table or countertop!
5. Best Heavy Duty Apple Cider Press:
EJWOX Heavy-Duty Cross-Beam Stainless Steel Fruit and Wine Press
It’s quite literally in the nameâ€”this EJWOX is a heavy-duty beast meant for the serious production of gallons and gallons of apple cider. With over 4 stars on Amazon, you can choose either the 2.38 gallon or 3.69-gallon version and immediately get to work!
How to Choose the Best Apple Cider Press for You
Now that I’ve listed what I think are the best apple cider presses out there, it’s time for you to make your own informed decision. Here’s what you should consider while deciding what best apple cider press is truly best for you:
- How much apple cider you’re planning to produce: This is perhaps the most important point. Are you running a business, or do you want just enough apple cider to satisfy your family’s apple cider needs? If you’re more of the latter kind of apple cider consumer, then a heavy-duty apple cider press is probably a waste of space, equipment, and money. But if you are looking to sell your apple cider as a seasonal product from your apple orchard, then it might be worth your time to invest in an apple cider press that is easier to use, and with a greater capacity.
- The size of the apple cider press tub. This point is related to the consideration above. Ask yourself: How big does the tub really need to be? How many apples do you foreshadow you’ll be pressing at once? If the answer is not that many, or just some every once in a while, then that’s the guidance you should follow when considering apple cider presses.
- Whether you’ll be pressing other fruit. One of the great things about apple cider presses is that most don’t just work with applesâ€”they’ll press anything you stick in there! That’s great news for anyone out there with, for example, a vineyard. So when thinking about the size of your apple cider press in relation to the number of apples, don’t forget to add the other fruit that you’ll also want to press.
- What is your budget?Â This is perhaps a no-brainer, but still worth mentioning nonetheless. Apple cider presses range wildly in cost. Clearly, the smaller tabletop or portable apple cider presses will cost you less than the bigger stainless steel heavy-duty apple cider presses. Also, the saying you get what you pay forÂ unfortunately holds true when shopping for the best apple cider press. Cater your expectations to the amount of money you’re willing to spend.
- Apple cider press brand. Some apple cider brands have established reputations for their good quality apple cider presses. Make sure to pay attention to product reviews to see what people who have already purchased the device before you are saying!
- Do you already have an apple grinder?Â Some apple cider presses (including some of the best apple cider presses!) come with an apple grinder attached. If you already have one, make sure to not buy these types of apple cider presses!
How to Care for Your Apple Cider Press
The last thing you need is a crusty apple cider press clogged with dry apple pulp from the previous apple season. Though a little messy, caring for your best apple cider press is straightforward. You should clean your apple cider press regularly!
The majority of apple cider presses are usually made out of stainless steel, which is typically nonstick and can be rinsed and wiped down. Make sure to also follow any specific guidelines outlined in the instruction manual.
Wrapping Up The Best Apple Cider Presses
I hope this post has inspired you to go out and choose the best apple cider press for your business or family’s every apple cider need. Overall, my top pick remains the SQUEEZE Master Fruit Wine Cider Press because of how clearly it was designed for ease of use! Interested in more apple content? Head on over to our website to visit ourÂ apple tree blogÂ to learn more!