Apple picking baskets are a necessity with the season right around the corner. We’re here to help you find the best one for your needs; whether you have rows of apple trees or just a singular tree in your backyard, this best-of list will help you decide which one you need.
In this post, we will share our picks for the best apple picking baskets for your harvest.
5 Best Apple Picking Baskets
Best Apple Picking Basket Overall
Bolga Zaare Market Basket, Handmade in Ghana by Women Artisans
This Handmade Basket from Ghana is the best option for your apple-picking basket. It is not only made by women artisans in Ghana, but it also gives you the ability to shape it into the form that works best for you. This process of re-shaping can be done in three easy steps, and the directions will come with the product.
This basket also comes in different sizes, either small, medium, or large. You can even purchase a set with both the small and large baskets, making it a great option for a family where there might be children who want to participate in the harvest but wouldn’t be able to handle a large apple picking basket.
This basket is handmade in the African country of Ghana, where they use the traditions that have been handed down over the generations.
The basket itself is handwoven from “elephant grass,” a locally grown straw, and the handle is made of leather.
- The company purchases them from the artisans themselves, making a direct impact on the community.
- The large basket’s diameter around is16-18 inches and 8-9 inches in height. Making it a nice-sized option.
- Due to its handmade nature, the basket is sturdy, from using an age-old tradition.
- The basket arrives folded, meaning it may be a little out of shape when you get it. The apple-picking basket does come with instructions on how to re-shape it.
- Given that this apple picking basket is handmade, it is on the pricier side.
- The sizing may be off an inch or two because they aren’t mass-produced
Best for Versatility
Wicker Basket with Handles
This apple-picking basket is a wonderfully versatile option. It is made of natural wood with a double-woven handle, creating a sturdy basket. It’s lined with a lace-trimmed fabric that can easily be removed for cleaning purposes or added for decoration.
This basket makes for a great apple picking basket. It can also be used for Fall arrangements during the holiday seasons, a sweet family day picnic basket, or even a storage basket that makes for a nice addition to your home decor.
This basket is a medium size at 5.5 inches tall, 13 inches long, and 10 inches wide; with handles raised, the total height is 10 inches and 5 inches deep.
- It’s a nice medium-sized basket.
- It has multiple uses.
- Double woven handle makes for a sturdy hold.
- The cloth lining is held on by ties, making it easy to remove.
- It’s a medium basket, meaning it won’t be able to hold a ton of apples.
- The cloth lining has lace, so it will need to be hand washed or placed on a delicate wash.
Best Budget-Friendly Apple Picking Option
Cornucopia Brands Round Wooden Baskets
Looking for the best budget-friendly apple-picking basket? Well, look no further. The Cornucopia brands wooden baskets come in a pair. These are perfect for a family outing or a medium to small personal garden. You can even use them for other harvests, such as cherries or root vegetables.
They are made of wood and run about 8.2 x 8 x 7.75 inches. They have a wire bale and wooden handle. These baskets are a little smaller than some of the other baskets mentioned, but you do get two for the price of one.
- You get two for the price of one
- Budget-friendly option
- They are well built and sturdy
- Versatile uses; harvest, home décor, candy basket
- These apple-picking baskets are relatively small, and reviewers have stated they can hold anywhere from 8 to 12 large apples.
Best Novelty Apple Picking Basket
Tierra Garden GP184 Colander Trug
This apple picking basket actually has a colander built-in. Once you have the apples, you can rinse them off before bringing them into the house or drop them right into your kitchen sink and not worry about the water staying stagnant.
This is a perfect apple picking basket for those of you who might have one or two trees out in your backyard and are looking for a way to bring in your apples without too much of a mess.
It’s also made of recycled BPA-free plastic, which means not only will your smaller harvest be easier to manage, but you can do it knowing you have done something good for the environment while keeping your family safe from any chemicals.
This basket’s dimensions are 22″ l x 12″ w x 4.75″ H.
- It’s made from recycled plastic.
- It has a built-in colander.
- It’s relatively lightweight, making it easier to carry.
- It’s durable and sturdy.
- Due to it being longer than deep, you can’t stack apples like in a regular basket.
- It isn’t as aesthetically pleasing as a woven basket would be.
- It’s versatile regarding the different vegetables and fruits you can place, but it doesn’t have any other purpose.
Best Cloth Apple Picking Holder
Harvest Apple Picking Bag
Although this isn’t a typical apple picking basket, it is a useful apple picking bag. This is for you if you have a large number of apple trees that need to be harvested and you don’t want to have to keep going back and forth with a basket.
This is also a hands-free option, so you don’t have to worry about carrying it tree to tree. Instead, you wear this apple picking bag like an apron, allowing the weight to be distributed throughout your body instead of solely on your arms and neck.
This apple picking bag is made of durable Oxford cloth, making it waterproof and long-lasting. It also has an easy-to-open bottom, which makes it so you can gently drop your harvest wherever you plan on storing them instead of taking them out one by one.
- Its large capacity makes it so you don’t have to spend all the time emptying out a smaller basket.
- It’s a highly durable fabric, which makes it long-lasting.
- It’s adjustable, making it an easy fit.
- It’s easy to store once you are finished with your harvest.
- It’s large, according to some excessively, so if you don’t have fields of apples, you probably won’t need something that big.
- It isn’t esthetically pleasing, so you can’t use it like you would a pretty basket for home décor or home storage.
- Some customers do not like the feeling of having something hanging on them with extra weight.
Care and Maintenance
When cleaning your wicker basket, take a white 100% cotton towel and dampen it. Then gently wipe the basket down and let it dry naturally.
Once it is dry, remember to hang it up/store it in a location where it will be able to keep its shape.
Most wood baskets can withstand the outdoors, but they will start to wear over the years. Not a problem, a little bit of linseed oil can be used to restore the wood’s natural barrier.
You’ll want to use either pure linseed oil or polymerized linseed oil since both are pure and completely safe for food contact surfaces/.
Listed above, you will find the top five apple-picking baskets for all your needs. Overall, the best is Bolga Zaare Market Basket, Handmade in Ghana by Women Artisans, which gives you both an aesthetically pleasing and generous size option.
Apple picking baskets are only one kind of gardening tool. For a comprehensive look at all sorts of things to make gardening tasks easier, visit our Garden Tools page for recommendations of all kinds.
Drop by our Apples page for more information on apple trees — we have over 90 varieties to read about!